If you grew up anything like me, we eyeball seasonings and throw in what we like. With that said, treat this as your regular fried chicken you’ve always made and use what you like!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt (you can reduce if you’re scared of a little flavor)
- 1 tablespoon Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning (optional, but I love it!)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 large head cauliflower
- After thoroughly cleaning your cauliflower, cut down the middle and use your hands to break into small florets. Make them about the size of chicken nuggets.
- In a bowl, combine milk and apple cider vinegar. Let sit for 10 – 15 minutes, we want this to begin to curdle.
- In another bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Heat the oil in a large pan or fryer. I always splash a drop of water in the grease to test if it’s ready for my food. You don’t want your nuggets sitting in the grease, but rather to immediately begin frying when we drop them in.
- Place a few florets in the wet mixture. Use a strainer ladle to drain excess mixture, scoop the florets into the dry mixture. Fully coat. Repeat again by placing back into the wet then dry mixture. Believe me double-coating is worth it!
- Once oil is heated, carefully lower cauliflower into the oil. Repeat until all cauliflower is in pan or until no more can fit in the pan/fryer. Fry for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cover plate with paper towels to absorb excess grease. Place finished cauliflower nuggets on napkins.
- Repeat steps 5 – 7 for remaining cauliflower.
- Serve hot. Add seasonings if needed to better suit your taste buds.
Leave a comment below if you’re trying this recipe!!