A staple at Thanksgiving and Christmas is the cornbread stuffing/dressing. I think depending on what part of town you’re from, you may call it something different. We can go in on a lengthy recipe on how to make plant-based cornbread from scratch, but the purpose of this is to show you how easy everything can be.
Let’s start with a small batch to see just how much you like it! We’ll use one baking bread pan Size: 8.5 x 4.5″ x 2.5″ inch for the cornbread and the cornbread dressing.
- 1 prepared pan of Jiffy Vegetarian Cornbread
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seed and 2 1/2 tbsp water combined)
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 large celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 to 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bake the cornbread, following the box instructions. Don’t worry the only difference between vegetarian Jiffy and the original Jiffy is the vegetarian version does not use animal lard. The same taste is there. Also when making your flax egg, allow it to sit for about 5 minutes to stiffen and create that ooziness of an egg. Remove from over once done.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add diced celery and bouillon cube. Continue to sauté for 5-10 minutes until onion and celery are golden brown.
- Crumble cornbread into skillet.
- Slowly add in vegetable broth. This is one of those things I need you to eyeball again. Combine until the cornbread is moist, not drenched. If you leave it too dry, your dressing will be dry so use your best judgement.
- Add in all remainder seasonings. Combine and add more vegetable broth, if necessary.
- Add mixture to cornbread pan and place in oven. Bake for 30 minutes.
If you want to know how any other food in the featured images was prepared, please leave a comment below.